Singing Lessons, Artist development, Ensemble Coaching, NCEA Music Tutoring
- Qualifications: BMus (Vic), PGDip (RNCM), London Opera Studio
- Pricing: from $50 to $70
- Styles: classical, rock, pop, music theatre, opera, jazz
- Suitability: From beginners to professionals. Usually from age 14. No upper age restriction.
A vocal mentor on the recent television series, The Naked Choir on TVNZ1, Clare is a teacher with 25 years of experience. Born in New Zealand, Clare gained a Bachelor of Music at Victoria University before studies at the Royal Northern College of Music, UK and a scholarship to the National Opera Studio in London.
She has worked with conductors from Glyndebourne Opera, English National Opera and has sung with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra. Her opera roles include: Donna Elvira (Mozart’s Don Giovanni), Elisabetta (Donizetti’s Roberto Devereux), Fiordiligi (Mozart’s Cosi fan Tutte), Contessa (Mozart’s La Nozze di Figaro), Elvira (Verdi’s Ernani), Leila (Pearl Fishers) and Abigaille from Verdi’s Nabucco:
“Clara Martin (Abigaille) has an outstanding voice, especially effective in the coloratura passages…” Opera Magazine (UK)
Clare has performed as a recital and oratorio artist in UK and NZ most notably the Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank, London. Latterly she has moved into jazz repertoire performing with several groups in sell-out events.
Since 1996 Clare has been performing and teaching both in the UK and in NZ. This has included extra teaching at the Royal Northern College of Music, private teaching in Manchester, London, Guildford and Auckland working in classical and opera, rock, pop and with West End music theatre performers.
Clare has worked as a consultant for choral groups, providing vocal tuition for corporate team-building events and running choir workshops. She has been conducting vocal ensemble groups since 2016. This year, 2017 she became the singing teacher at Massey High School in Auckland. She is on the council for the NZ Association of Singing Teachers.
Firstly unlocking a singers’ breath with depth, freedom and control. Achieving a happy relationship with a well-supported and well-placed resonant voice. Becoming a confident and engaging performer through exploring the right musical genre(s) for the student.
* Lessons are 45-minutes to an hour in duration.
* Weekly lessons are recommended. Improved singing within six lessons.
* An initial trial lesson or consultation can be arranged.
* Digital recordings made of vocal exercises specifically for you.
* All levels from beginner singers to professional performers.