Piano Lessons | Choirs, Keyboard Lessons, Organ Lessons | Aural Lessons, Theory Lessons, Composition Lessons, NCEA Music Tutoring
- Qualifications: BMus (Hons) First Class, BMus, BA, DipABRSM
- Pricing: $28 per half hour, $50 per hour
- Styles: Classical, contemporary music, early music, sacred music, pop
- Suitability: All ages and levels
I pursue a wide variety of musical passions in many different roles, as a teacher, accompanist, organist, choral conductor, and composer. I gained my DipABRSM in Piano Performance at fifteen, and since then have come to specialise in working with singers.
My current roles include:
- Director of Music at St James Church, Lower Hutt, where I run an adult choir, band, and youth choir (since 2016);
- Sub Organist at the Wellington Cathedral of St Paul, where I also assist with the Children’s Choir and the Cathedral Choristers (since 2016);
- Tutor in keyboard and aural skills, harmony, counterpoint, and analysis at the New Zealand School of Music (since 2011);
- Accompanist for the Local Vocals, a community choir based in Karori (since 2009);
- Private teacher of piano, theory, and harmony (since 2008)
Some of my past career highlights include:
- being an intern pianist at the New Zealand Opera School 2016;
- completing a Bachelor of Music with First Class Honours at the New Zealand School of Music in 2014;
- working as a repetiteur with New Zealand Opera (The Flying Dutchman and Noye’s Fludde);
- giving many concerts as an organist and as an accompanist for choirs and solo singers;
- being a Hesse student at the Aldeburgh Festival in the UK in 2013, and getting original compositions performed there
I believe it is important for all students to set goals and keep track of their achievements, and most of all, to have fun and enjoy making music.
For beginners and children I keep lessons interactive and diverse, using games and exercises to focus on the many different levels of music, including coordination, rhythm, listening skills, reading skills, creativity, and musicianship.
In all piano and organ lessons, I cover a certain amount of theory, sight-reading, and aural skills, as well as technique and repertoire, in order to develop well-rounded musicianship. I also encourage students to be creative and compose their own music.
I can prepare students for graded music exams, and have helped many students successfully through ABRSM practical exams.
I also offer group theory lessons for students who want to gain a more in depth understanding of how music works. In these lessons I make use of many games and quizzes as well as textbooks. I have successfully put many students through both ABRSM and NZMEB theory exams.